I recently purchased a copy of Six-Figure Pet Sitting by Kristin Morrison. It took me a week or two to actually take the time to sit down and read it, but once I picked it up, I could not put it down.
In Chapter 5, Kristin discusses the concept of Inner Value, or the lack thereof. Although this book specifically covers pet sitting, what she has to say about inner value is pretty universal and worth pondering, whatever your occupation.
The following is an except from Six-Figure Pet Sitting:
“Do You Lack Inner Value?
A symptom of the lack of inner value is often under-earning. This lack of inner value can be made to look productive through marketing and activities to increase your business, but often there is little or no follow through to ‘close the deal’. Remember the sabotaging techniques you previously wrote about? A lack of inner value can also sabotage all of your efforts and often will feel as though you, once again, have your foot on the gas and the brake at the same time.
Having a lack of inner value that sabotages your business and financial success is often expressed through:
- Not raising client rates for two or more years.
- Being afraid to say no to a client request.
- Working too hard and not having a lot to show for it.
- Not holding clients to terms outlined in the contract.
- Not having clients sign a contract.
- Giving discounts without clients asking for them.
- Not keeping orderly and accurate business records.
- Being afraid to hire people and/or saying no to new business.
- Returning client calls too late: 24-48 hours later.
- Marketing a lot but feeling too tired to call new clients back.
- Not spending enough time doing revenue-producing activities.
List all the ways you notice that YOU lack inner value and sabotage your business and profit…”
She then goes on to have you list positive actions you can take to stop sabotaging yourself and provides a series of “action steps” that seriously encourages follow-through.
If you are a house and pet sitter, or are considering becoming one, please buy this book. This is just one of the excerpts that resounded with me. Thank you, Kristin ~ I SO needed to read this guide right before launching Phase II of Caretaking Couple! Here’s to Inner Value,
PS You can find even more tools and resources (including business coaching, teleclasses, forms and a blog) at Six-Figure Pet Sitting Academy.